Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Gnat Problem

If you are drinking something at my house, please look at the beverage before you drink.  90% of the time there's extra protein floating at the top.  Why?  Because my husband fertilizes his indoor lime tree (that's never produced a lime in 5 years) with used coffee grinds.  Apparently gnats are attracted/addicted to the caffeine.  I always wondered where all these gnats came from.  I thought (many times during the past couple months) that they would go away after the first big frost.  They didn't.  I was steam mopping my floor about a month ago and relocated the lime tree (it's about 7 ft tall) to mop under it.  When I moved it, hundreds of gnats flew out.  My husband has been experimenting with the coffee fertilizer for a couple months now.  So I've been treating the tree with bug killer (which I'm sure is super safe for my kids) weekly.  A gnats life cycle is obviously more than a week. 

1 comment:

  1. Tell him to use tea bags. I fertilize ALL my plants with tea (it was YOU that told me that secret). NO gnats. However, gnats are attached to sweetness so place bowls of water with several drops of sweet smelling dish detergent around the house (make sure you have a few bubbles to ensure you have enough "sweetness"). The gnats will be attached to the water and drown. This was NaNa old stand-by for her gnat problem and yes, she always had gnat problems and this solution always worked. And ants? They won't cross chalked lines...

    ReplyDelete