Friday, July 8, 2011

Jesus and I Made It

Every year our family does a garden. 

Usually David does all the vegetables, and I grow the herbs and decorative flowers. 

However, this year I decided to plant 3 gourd and squash seeds in my garden.  I wanted something fun to grow on my fence.  And I, like many other gardeners, love the satisfaction of getting to pick and eat something that I personally grew. 

Every day Diesel, Sawyer, and I go outside and water the gardens (we have lots considering the small yard we have).  Diesel loves looking for all the squash and different gourds that have started growing. 

Finally a couple days ago, one of the squash/gourds were big enough to pick.  It probably would've grown a lot bigger, but I knew Diesel was wanting to pick it very badly to show his daddy.  So, I let him pick it.  It's a pretty special squash/gourd.  The reason why I keep slashing squash and gourd together is because it's both.  You see, the squash and gourd plant cross-pollinated.  So, it's both.  Here's a picture:


As usual, before an important phone call, I quiz him on the things he's supposed to say.  He wanted to call his daddy and tell him, so I began asking Diesel the necessary questions.

Mom: "What is that?"

Diesel: "It's a squash."

Mom: "Squash and gourd.  What colors are in it?"

Diesel: "Yellow and green."

Mom: "Where did it come from?"

Diesel:  "The garden."

Mom: "Who grew it?"

Diesel: "Jesus.  Me and Jesus.  We did it together."

I think he's understanding his Sunday school lessons.

1 comment: